Monday, November 08, 2004

 

America's Future

Here's a vision of what the future holds for women subject to El Busho's "values."

From the BBC
Her ordeal began four months into her fourth pregnancy.

One fateful afternoon, feeling sick and dizzy, she swallowed some paracetamol tablets to cure a nagging migraine.

"I knew instinctively that I was miscarrying, and I had lost my baby," she recalls. "My underclothes were drenched in blood."
...
Because Shanti's pregnancy was so far advanced, the authorities suspected she had had an abortion.

She was arrested while recovering in hospital and four armed police stood guard by her bed. "I was so sick there was no reason for them to guard me, I could not run anywhere," she said.
...
Her husband had paid a lawyer around $20 (1500 Nepalese Rupees) to defend her, but unable to read or write she found it difficult to understand the proceedings.

"I didn't know what was going on, I was very confused. They said I had an abortion. The police made me sign a piece of paper. I did not know it was a confession."

Shanti was sentenced to 20 years in jail.


I'm sure Chief Justice Scalia (or Thomas) would have no problem upholding a conviction based on a signed "confession" from someone unable to read what they signed, even if signed under duress.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?