Monday, January 17, 2005
The Next Bush Fiasco: Attacking Iran?
US commandos are operating inside Iran selecting sites for future air strikes, says the American investigative reporter Seymour Hersh.
In the New Yorker magazine, Hersh says intelligence officials have revealed that Iran is the Bush administration's "next strategic target".<> Hersh says that American special forces have conducted reconnaissance missions inside Iran for six months.
The New Yorker journalist adds that President Bush has authorised the operations, defining them as military to avoid legal restrictions on CIA covert intelligence activities overseas. >
They constitute a revival of a form of covert US military activity used in the 1980s, notably in support of the Nicaraguan Contras.
This brings up the following doomsday scenario:
- Bush authorizes airstrikes against Iranian nuclear reactors.
- Iran unites under the ayatollahs and counter by blockading the Persian Gulf, conducting missile attacks on US carriers.
- Outraged,the OPEC nations declare an oil embargo against the US.
- Saudi Arabia and the rest of the Middle East deny US forces over-flight rights.
- Largely cut off from supplies via air and sea, the overextended US land forces abandon their heavy equipment and retreat into Kuwait.
- China seizes the moment and dumps its US debt holdings, forcing the rest of the world to follow.
- The US economy crashes, taking the rest of the world's economies with it.
- China invades and takes Taiwan. North Korea invades and takes South Korea. The US is powerless to stop them.
- As a condition for economic aid, the US is forced to destroy its entire nuclear arsenal and scale its forces back to minimal self defense levels.
- Osama bin Ladin emerges from hiding and declares victory, stating "We couldn't have won without the help of the war criminal George Bush."