Thursday, March 31, 2005

 

World Bank to be Neo-Conned

Looks like Wolfowitz set for World Bank post:

Paul Wolfowitz is set to be confirmed as the new head of the World Bank on Thursday after winning crucial European support on Wednesday.
...
But the proposal of Mr Wolfowitz by the White House was seen in some quarters as an attempt to bend a multilateral body to US demands.

"I understand that I'm to put it mildly a controversial figure," (Wolfowitz) said.

"But I hope as people get to know me that they will understand that I really do believe deeply in the mission of the Bank."

He promised to seek a "truly multinational" management team - but would not give Europe an unequivocal promise on the deputy's post.
Source: BBC (Emphasis in original)

My guess is that Wolfowitz has either already found a European neocon for the deputy's post or that the "multinational" management team will include Bush loyalists from both "red" and "blue" states. Either way, this looks to be bad news for the developing world.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?